So, this week I had the most horrific experience I have had in a very long time.
I moved to London a few months ago, and finally last week we moved into our new home. It has been chaos, boxes laying around, dirty floors, still living from my suitcase (I have been using the same cardigan for the last month!) and waiting for our furniture to arrive.
This house has no wardrobes, so we had to go to a store, buy them and had them delivered. Yesterday was that wonderful day in which the key to organizing my home would disembark. At about 1pm the 3 delivery men arrived and started to bring all the boxes into my house (I must clarify that my house has many sets of stairs). One of the men seemed unfit, so I decided to help him out and take the boxes up myself. He would lose his breath at the 5th staircase and had to sit down to recover. Come on! A delivery man should be able to at least go up a flight of stairs! At a given moment, he didn’t let me help him anymore, I suppose his ego was being hurt, so he decided to continue up the stairs. Suddenly I saw him stop to recover. Before I knew it, he fell down the stairs and onto his head! My heart was racing, I thought the guy had just died in my house! The bang on his head was horrific! I still shiver from the thought of that man on the floor of my home not being able to move. After a few minutes, his mates helped him up. It didn’t seem to be serious (I hope he got a head scan!) and he went out to the van to rest.
Why am I telling you this story? Firstly, because I need to vent, I still feel anxious. And second, please don’t take your health for granted! Don’t allow yourself to be lazy and get moving! Stop eating unhealthy food all the time and get some real nutrients into your body.
A few pieces of advice for you to follow everyday:
- If you are not active, take a 30-minute walk everyday: It will do you good to get our body moving. This will not only benefit your physical and cardiovascular fitness, but it will also help you relax. Before you know it will become a habit.
- Start to eat healthier: This does not mean you must gorge down with chia seeds and smoothies every day. Just stop having so much fried food, try to eat fresh food and cook more at home. Don’t have so much packaged food, it is filled with trans fats which eventually will do serious damage to your health. Check out this quinoa pie recipe, it’s filling and easy to make.
- Cut down the sugar: It is important for you to know that processed sugar and foods containing sugar are the leading cause for cardiovascular disease and obesity. Examples of these are white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, sodas, powdered soft drinks…
- Eat fruits and vegetables: Incorporate fruits and vegetables into your diet, this will allow you to cut down on your carbohydrate and fat intake in your daily meals. If you are not a real fan of vegetables try to disguise them a little bit with rice, or put it into the chicken and make a nice sauce to go with it. Click here to go to a nice vegetable recipe easy to make and is tastes amazing!
- Eat healthy fats: Stop having packaged meals and take your hand off that bag of chips. Instead, try adding some avocado into your meals. Cook with coconut oil, instead of refined oils.
Do yourself a favour and start loving yourself. Take care of yourself. You only have one body and it should be taken care of. You don’t have to be the fittest, or the healthiest. You just need to be able to go up a flight of stairs without losing your breath and can walk a mile without fainting.