It is already January 16 and I’m sure most of us are thinking on how to lose that weight we all gained during the December festivities. First, relax! Relaxing helps to lose weight, we don’t want our stress hormones (adrenaline and cortisol) to accumulate more fat, given we are trying to lose some of it! As a defence mechanism, after stressful situations they store fat in order to help us recover our body after the danger has subsided… But in the modern days we are no longer running for our lives, we sit at the office and stress because our computer broke down! On the same note, when we exercise this hormones also rise, so it would be wise to not overwork the body. A two-hour cardio workout will only put more stress on your body, thus elevating the stress hormones level, leading to weight gain! The best would be to try to do some high intensity intervals: Shorter time workouts, but with a higher level of intensity. There are so many websites and studios that offer this type of exercise that it won’t be difficult to get into the move!
You may have noticed that you have lost some of the weight during the first days of January, since your diet has stabilized and you may be eating healthier. As soon as you start eating normal, your body will begin to go back to its weight. But of course, we need to give it a little push. Try eating lots of veggies, healthy fats such as avocado, coconut oil and salmon. Avoid eating fried food, processed food (usually contains trans fats and sugar!) and sweets.
A recipe that I found that was delicious, easy to make and a perfect accompaniment for fish, tofu or meat is a Sicilian Vegetable Medley. The original recipe contained peeled potatoes, but I changed it because I wanted to have a low carb version. And I tend to avoid to eat potatoes without it’s peel because this rises our sugar level since the peel has all the fibre.
I made mine in an electric pressure cooker, but you can use a normal one, or even cook it for longer in a normal pot.
Sicilian Vegetable Medley
Ingredients: 1 aubergine, 1tbs of salt, 1 tbs of coconut oil, 2 bell peppers (red or yellow) cut into strips, 3 medium courgettes, 1 onion cut into thin wedges, 1 cup or more of cherry tomatoes, handful of black olives (pits removed), chopped bunch of basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the aubergine into cubes and put the salt so it drains for about 30 minutes.
- Sautee the ingredients with the coconut oil: First add the aubergine for about 3 minutes, then add the bell peppers and onion for another 3 minutes. Afterwards add the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the basil, black olives and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir and close the pot.
- If you are using an electrical pressure, leave it in manual mode for about 6 minutes. After it has finished, take out the vegetables to stop them from continuing to cook.
- Serve at room temperature. You can add some more fresh basil.
Remember: You are what you eat, so be mindful of all you feed your body.